Saturday, December 27, 2014

Saturday Scraps

Christmas has been celebrated, kids have come and gone, presents have been opened, meals shared, and another year has just about passed. Whew! Years go by quickly now, and I become keenly aware of the shortness of life, the importance of spending time with people you love, and the value of trying our best to keep our focus on counting the blessings of each day. My mother-in-law, Alberta, had several verses written on the inside covers of her Bible. This one was there twice: "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done." Philippians 4:6 NLT. Good words to remember.

To wrap up Christmas week, I looked back through my phone photos for some scraps to share.
Last Tuesday with Noah, he thought it great fun to crawl into the dogs' crate. I promise I didn't put him there!
Grandpa and Uncle Big Jon put together his new table and chairs. He liked it!
We left Noah's house on Tuesday and drove to Dayton to attend the Christmas Eve Eve service with David and Shylah at their church, Fairborn UMC. I am so glad they have found a church home there, and we were thankful for the opportunity to attend this special service with them. And, there was a HORSE in the service. Yep, a horse. As the praise band sang the Christmas version of Hallelujah, church members acted out the Nativity story, complete with Joseph leading Mary around the auditorium on a horse. Andrew, Darci, Haleigh and Ella joined us as well, and the girls liked the glow sticks they distributed to the children for the candlelight part of the service.
Christmas Eve, back at Greensburg UMC, the children sang and held their (battery operated) candles to the strains of Silent Night. I do get a little nostalgic remembering so many Christmas Eve services in this sanctuary. I sang there as a child, when we held little penlights during the candle lighting. Our own children sang, wearing the famous white robes and red bows, and even one time in angel wings. And now, here I am, directing, as Matthew, Haleigh, and Ella stand and sing in the very same place. God is good.
After the service, we went to Nana and Boomie's for soup and birthday cake. Happy Birthday to Jesus!
And a photo bomb by Andrew. :)
Ella enjoyed her cupcake. At least the icing.
Adam and Courtney in their Christmas jammies. This is their second year for that tradition.
Sometime during their visit, the left me with some surprise photos on my phone.
Quiet Christmas morning by the tree.
My dad after Christmas brunch with his new book by Gary Ferguson.
Noah having a little Christmas night spaghetti.
JibJab keeps sending me invitations to make a dancing card. I'm not going to pay for that, but the still shot of the boys is pretty cute.
As is this throwback Christmas card from 1994. I told you it was Saturday scraps!

Next year, we will have another stocking to add to the full mantel, for Jennifer and Bryan's little girl, due in March, just (hopefully) before Adam and Courtney say 'I do.'  
Looking back, looking ahead, giving thanks. 
Joy to the World!

1 comment:

Terri D said...

I've never seen more wonderful scraps!! What a great time you all had!!