Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Dear Old Golden Hodgepodge

It's a 'Back to School' theme for the Wednesday Hodgepodge today, even though we're about a month in to the school year in our little town. Enjoy my answers, then click on the button to visit Joyce and the others.
Here are her questions and my answers:
1.  What's something you wanted to do this summer that you never got around to actually doing?

I didn't get nearly enough time in my favorite lakeside reading chair. Summer went fast!

2. Share a favorite memory of your own back -to-school days as a child.

My mom taught preschool ('nursery school' back then) in our converted garage. I was in her first class, and it was so exciting to have the little tables and chairs, a playhouse, and lots of toys ready to share with the students/friends who came for school.

I attended kindergarten at Rosenmund School. From an autobiography I wrote in 6th grade, my 11-year-old self remembered my first day of school like this, "My first day of school started out in Rosenmund School. I was in Mrs. Smith's kindergarten. I was kind of scared at first, but then I got used to the idea that there was nothing to be scared of. From then on I loved every minute of school."

Little did I know that Mrs. Smith was the aunt of my future husband, and that I would one day call her Aunt Elizabeth instead of Mrs. Smith. (The story goes that when Jim was in her class, Alberta told him that he should call her Mrs. Smith instead of Aunt Elizabeth. He did, and continued to call her Mrs. Smith for years after kindergarten.)

She was a special and wonderful teacher (and person), and taught our class of 36 (thirty-six!) kindergartners without ever raising her voice. 
In fifth grade, we were the oldest ones in the school, and I was so happy that I was in the same class with many of my best friends. We were very cool. When school started, I remember that several of us had vinyl flowered 3-ring binders that came with a matching vinyl bag. Nothing cooler than that!

3.  What's one chore or daily task you prefer doing 'old-school' ?
I still like to make lists with paper and pen, and I'm a fan of hand-addressed envelopes. Old school, I know.

4.  Share something you've learned in life through the 'school of hard knocks'.


5.  As a child, did you mostly bring or buy your lunch for school? What was your favorite thing to find in your lunchbox?
I always ate the school lunch. There were meals that I remember liking a lot: chicken and noodles, with those little cups of ice cream for dessert. There were also the days when the smell of sauerkraut permeated the hallways and classrooms all morning. Not. My. Favorite.

6. Football season is upon us which has me wondering... how big of a sports fan are you (not just football) ? On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being 'I scream at the players through my television screen' and 1 being 'is knitting a sport?' where do you fall in fandom? 

I am a fan. I grew up with 2 brothers. My dad is a sports fan. I have 4 sons who love sports. Might as well join 'em! I'll rank myself a 10, but I don't scream at the players through my television screen. Do I?

7. Share a favorite quote you think might inspire students of all ages at the start of a new school year. 

8.  Insert you own random thought here.

I have been asked, by a friend on Facebook, to list 10 books that stayed with me in some way. I probably took too much time thinking about it, but here is my list, in no particular order. I would love it if you would share yours in the comments.

1.  Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
2.  Wonder by R. J. Palacio
3.  Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder
4.  The Black Stallion by Walter Farley
5.  The Firm by John Grisham
6.  Love You Forever by Robert Munsch
7.  I Will Carry You by Angie Smith
8. Coming Back Stronger by Drew Brees
9. Wooden by John Wooden
10. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

2 comments:

Terri D said...

It was fun seeing your photos!! Great Hodgepodge! Interesting that most folks either answered that they wash dishes by hand, or keep a journal with a pen and paper, for #3.

Joyce said...

Off the top of my head-

Anne of Green Gables
Crow Boy
Where the Red Fern Grows
Rebecca
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
The Hiding Place
Life of Pi
Notes From A Small Island
Charlottes Web
Pillars of the Earth