Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Peace Like a Hodgepodge

It's Wednesday, and time for the Hodgepodge. It's a great little get-together, hosted by our friend Joyce, for bloggers all over the world. Or pretty close. Read my answers, then click on the hp button to visit Joyce and the others. Be sure to leave some comment love. 

Here are her questions and my answers:
1. What's the best thing about growing older?
Being a Granny.

2. When did you first feel like a grown up?
Well, I guess it was when I got married, at the ripe old age of 21.


3. Chocolate cake with white icing or white cake with chocolate icing?
Chocolate cake with white icing. Although I would really prefer chocolate cake with chocolate icing. Better yet, this cake, chocolate chip upside down cake. Recipe here. :)

4. What's the nicest thing a stranger has ever done for you?
I have written before about being given free dessert for our family at Michael Jordan's restaurant in Chicago. More recently, I was loading horse feed and shavings into my car at Rural King when a nice man came over and lifted those heavy bags for me. It was noticed and appreciated all the more since there have been other times when young men have stood by and watched me struggle to do it myself. I have told my boys, including Matthew, that when they see an old woman in a parking lot struggling with groceries or what-not, for heaven's sake, help her! To which Matthew answered, "but you're not old, Granny." Love that boy.

5.  What's something you learned from your grandparents? 
I was blessed to spend lots of time with my maternal grandparents, and also blessed that all five of our children knew them as well. From my grandma, who we called Mamaw, I learned many things.

  • Grandmas can ride horses. (She took me horseback riding at a little stable that would now be considered to be right in the middle of the city.)
  • Jiffy Pop can be returned to the store if there are unpopped kernels left. (Who knew?)
  • A pattern isn't required in dressmaking. (I wish I had paid closer attention here.)
  • Scotch tape is good entertainment.
  • It's not a bad idea to keep a little money under the rug.
  • Necessity is the mother of invention.
  • A circle of wood and a strong rope make a great swing.

6. Wednesday marks a sad day in the history of planet earth-9/11...what's something you do (or can do) to bring peace to your little corner of the world?
Listen more, talk less.

7.  Share a favorite quote, scripture, or song containing the word peace. 
I learned this song as a child in the choir at church, and I still remember every word:
Let there be peace on Earth, and let it begin with me.
Let there be peace on Earth, the peace that was meant to be.
With God as our Father, brothers all are we,
Let me walk with my brother, in perfect harmony.
Let peace begin with me, let this be the moment now.
With every breath I take, let this be my solemn vow:
To take each moment, and live each moment, in peace eternally,
Let there be peace on Earth, and let it begin with me.


I especially like this version by Vince Gill with his daughter Jenny.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.
This little guy is 3 weeks old today! Jennifer posted this picture of him yesterday looking so wide awake and thoughtful. I am looking forward to some snuggle time with him today when he makes his first trip to Granny and Grandpa's house. Blessed.

And today, especially, I pray that he will never know a day 'when the world stops turning', and that we all may seek to live in peace with our neighbors and the world. Amen.

No comments: