Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Our Place in the Hodgepodge

Wednesday is here, and so is the Hodgepodge. Thanks to our hostess, Joyce, for throwing this party each week. Be sure to hop over to visit her blog, and see what she and the others have to say.

Here are her questions and my answers:
1. July 24th is Amelia Earhart Day.  Earhart was the first female to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.  What's something you've recently accomplished solo? 
Amelia Earhart spent time at Purdue University, and is dear to those of us who attended school there. There are campus landmarks in her honor, namely Earhart Residence Hall, and this larger-than-life statue. My husband's aunt served Miss Earhart some of her meals during the time she spent on campus. Her influence is still felt, especially among women who choose to major in aviation technology.
As for my recent solo accomplishment? I was able to back up my old iPhone 4s to my computer and transfer everything to my new iPhone 5. All. By. Myself. Not exactly a transatlantic flight, but I'm proud. :)

2.  What's one product you use that never ever fails?
I have had good luck using the Magic Eraser, most recently to successfully remove ink marks from a special book.

3. Have you found your place in the world? Where is it?
I may have mentioned it before, but during the summer, it's right here:
Speaking of my place in the world, I have always loved this song by Michael W. Smith:


4. Worst movie you ever saw?
I'm not sure it was really a bad movie, but when I was in high school, I was on vacation with my best friend and her parents. Maybe it was a rainy day, but for whatever reason, we decided to go to an afternoon movie. Her mom had read the book, so we went to see The Other Side of Midnight. It was a little bit more 'R' rated than we had anticipated, and we left the theater before it was over.

5. What's the last fun thing you did?
This is an easy one. I spent the weekend with most of my POWs. No, not prisoners of war, but, rather, 'Pearls of Wisdom.' For our 50th birthday a few years ago, a group of six high school friends got together to celebrate both birthdays and friendship. We wear necklaces with charms, along with pearls, since they signify 'wisdom', and we call ourselves the 'Pearls of Wisdom', POWs for short. :)


Four of the six (we missed you Deb and Mary!) were able to enjoy a weekend together at our lake house, and we started our first evening at my favorite, Big Woods Brewery. With an order of pulled pork nachos, of course.
We posed for a picture before dinner. We shared drinks, and laughs, food, dessert, and more laughs.
On Saturday, we were a little disappointed that after our leisurely morning, we got ourselves suited and sunscreened, filled the cooler, lined the chairs, found our sunglasses, towels, and phones and settled into our chairs on the dock about 5 minutes before a big rainstorm rolled through. Bother.

No worries, though, as we filled the time with our traditional game of *new* Taboo. Jan gives clues while Ann mans the buzzer. More laughing.
I took very few pictures, but there was much talking, more laughing, catching up, and celebrating the history we share and the gift of friendship.

Our Sunday night dinner included sweet corn, steak, and Joyce's recipe for spicy grilled salmon. Jan and Amy did an excellent job as grillmasters.
We also learned new-to-us Mad Gab, which was pretty hilarious. I must admit, though, that laughing was quick and plentiful, whether from new games, old stories, or an attempt to roll up the watermat in the lake. Old stories shared by old friends making new memories. Priceless.

6. The month of July is named for Roman Emperor Julius Caesar...ever been to Rome? What's your favorite Italian dish?
I have not been to Rome. My favorite Italian dish? Anything I might eat when in Rome. :)



7. What is one piece of advice you'd offer new mom Kate Middleton?

Don't blink. 

And I would like the advice delivered this way:


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Since I have a bit of a connection to the royals (read about it here), I want to extend my congratulations on the birth of the brand new prince. Because they're still deciding on a name (I heard the Queen has to approve), maybe we should compile a list of suggestions. :)

No comments: