Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Free as the Hodgepodge

Just a quick little Hodgepodge today, since we all have things to do to get ready to celebrate our nation's birth. Be sure to click on the button to visit our hostess, Joyce, and the others playing along this week.
Here are my answers:

1. What's one simple small pleasure on your summer 'to-do' list? 

Reading some books. In this chair. :)

2. Do you have strong feelings or opinions regarding the immigration debate in your home country? Feel free to share your thoughts, but please play nice.
I don't talk politics on my blog. Or any time, really. I do try to listen and learn, and try not to do much grumbling. :)
There is a plaque near the Statue of Liberty with a poem written by Emma Lazarus. It states, in part:
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
While Lady Liberty stands as a symbol of the freedom we enjoy, I think, in the mind of the poet, she was a symbol of America being a refuge where those oppressed could come to live in liberty. I like that.

3.  What's something in your home or wardrobe that could be described as 'star spangled'?
These outfits that I painted, circa 1992, could definitely be described as 'star spangled.' And they're still in my home. Trust me.

4.  Is your house set up for a party?
We are blessed to have a house that lends itself well to a party. It's not a huge house, but we do enjoy hosting family gatherings, which have been taking place here since the house was built by Jim's grandparents in 1948. We love gathering around the table in the dining room.
 And we also love game night in the basement. Taboo, anyone?

5. What one never-before-visited city in America, would you most like to see?
I would like to visit Seattle. I remember singing along to the theme song of the TV show, Here Come the Brides (anyone else remember that?):
"The bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle..."
Sure looks like it's true from the picture. Of course by visiting Seattle I could also visit my friend Dana who lives on nearby Whidbey Island. Hi Dana!

6. Your favorite red food? White food? Blue food?
Strawberries, vanilla ice cream, and blueberries. Something like this:

7. What freedom do you value the most, and why?
Serving on a federal grand jury for the last six months has made me aware and appreciative of the rights we have as citizens of the United States of America. I am thankful for due process that is granted us and the court system that allows us to be treated fairly.

Speaking of freedom, I have always loved Norman Rockwell's paintings of the Four Freedoms.
8.  Insert your own random thought here.
These mushrooms are growing in the yard near our lakehouse. I was pretty impressed by their size, and wonder if anyone out there knows what kind they are? They are quite unusual, at least to me. Anyone know mushrooms? :)
Happy Independence Day to all, and God Bless America!

No comments: