Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Elephant March

We used this elephant mobile that I made as a decoration at Jennifer's shower on Sunday. I can't wait to see it hanging in the baby's room!
I saw several similar ones on nursery decorating blogs and Pinterest, and decided I would try to make one myself. I found an elephant pattern online, printed it out, and enlarged it to the size I wanted. Then I traced the pattern onto gray felt and cut them out.
I cut ears out of yellow gingham, and sewed them on.
I braided tails with embroidery floss, and knotted the ends. Looks like an elephant tail, right?
Since I wanted the stitching on the outside, I matched them up with right sides out.
Then I sewed them together with yellow thread, inserting the tail as I stitched. I left the top open to add a little stuffing.
After they were stuffed, I stitched them closed.
I tied a knot in a yellow ribbon, and sewed them to the top of each elephant by hand.
I painted an embroidery hoop, and attached the elephants to the hoop with ribbon. I used a sharpie to make eyes. 'Cause that's how I roll. Easy. :)
I added two more lengths of ribbon to the hoop for hanging, and that's it!
And because all those little elephants reminded me of one of my favorite scenes from The Jungle Book, I thought I would share this, hoping it makes you smile. (It's Jonathan's favorite.) :)
Hup, two, three, four...

No comments: