Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May I Hodgepodge?

Greetings, and welcome to Wednesday, the day we gather from all over the world wide web to join Joyce for the fabulous Wednesday Hodgepodge. She presents a set of thoughtful questions, and we provide the fascinating answers. Please enjoy mine before hopping over to Joyce's place to see what everyone else has to day.

1.  This week's Hodgepodge is Volume 123.  What's something you've done recently that was as easy as 1-2-3? 
Well, I guess it would be putting together this handy dandy wine rack from IKEA. They really do make things pretty simple. And of course, while answering this question, I found myself humming along:
ABC
Easy as 1-2-3
Or simple as
Do re mi
ABC, 1-2-3 baby, you and me!
Anyone else with me?

2.  The Wednesday Hodgepodge also happens to fall on the first day of May ...what is something you may do this month? 
The first day of May always reminds me of the May baskets we made when we were kids. We usually used a paper cup or a cone shaped piece of construction paper, filled it with dandelions or wild violets, and hung it on the door of a neighbor. We would knock, run away and hide, then watch as our neighbor discovered the special treat. Of course, I'm sure we weren't really very good at the hiding part, and the neighbors no doubt knew who had left it, even though they acted surprised. Do children make May baskets any more?
My other favorite 'May' thing is a song we sang in church, called Sing a Song of Maytime. "Maytime, playtime, God has given the Maytime. Thank Him for His gifts of love, sing a song of spring!"
Oh, but something that I may do? I may just be pretty proud when our youngest graduates from college in a couple of weeks. Actually, I'm sure of it!

3. The Englishman Horace Walpole is credited as saying, "The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think"  How do you see it?
Joyce likes to make us think, now, doesn't she? The world presents both tragedy and comedy in turn, but I believe that happiness, in thought and feeling, is a choice.

4.  May is National Hamburger Month...how often do you eat a burger? What are your must-haves when it comes to burgers?  I assume you vegetarians won't be celebrating so tell us what you'd like instead? 
In the summer and fall, we probably eat burgers once a week at least. 
And our burgers are the best ever
True story. 
I season them with McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. I'll take cheese on mine. 
Beef. It's what's for dinner.

5. Pansies, petunias, geraniums, impatiens...of the four mentioned, which is your favorite in a patio pot? Will there be pots on your patio this spring? (Or whenever spring comes to your part of the globe?) Who does the gardening at your house?
My patio pot has red geraniums and white petunias. Those two are the traditional favorites for the pots at our house. I also love impatiens, and planted them at the lake two years ago, only to have them eaten by deer or other critters that live in the neighborhood. Pansies are a favorite for their vivid colors and their hardy nature. I guess all four are my favorites. I would not say anyone does 'gardening' at our house, but I'm usually the one that sticks the plants in the pots. :)

6. When did you last (literally or figuratively) shout "Mayday, Mayday!"
A week ago Friday, we were all loaded up and ready to head to the lake, and pulled around to the barn to feed PeeWee, my 31-year-old horse. He came in limping. Not what I wanted to see. I quickly changed my clothes and shoes so I could check him out. Finding no rocks or nails in the hoof, I prodded a bit and found him to be tender in the heel area.

Fortunately, my daughter is a vet tech who works with horses, and that's where the figurative "Mayday" came in. A call to her determined that it was probably an abscess, and needed to be soaked in Epson salts. A text to my niece gave me a great suggestion for soaking in a ziploc bag, taped around his leg.
Jennifer asked if I had cotton or gauze with which to wrap the foot. All I could come up with was a disposable diaper (pull-up, actually), which worked perfectly. Soak the foot, slip on the pull-up, wrap with bandage tape and cover with duct tape.
A couple of late-night checks found him contentedly munching hay, and he was greatly improved by the next morning. Good to have family members to help out in a (relatively minor) crisis!

7.  Say farewell to your April in ten words or less. 
Bye, bye, April. Looks like we made it.

8.  Insert your own random thought here. 
Jennifer and Bryan will welcome this little one, our fourth grandchild, in early September. 
They don't know the baby's gender, and are having fun getting everything ready for his or her arrival. I guess we could do our own little gender prediction poll here...
what do you think? Boy or girl?

No comments: