Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I'll Get You My Hodgepodge

Our hearts are breaking for the people of Oklahoma today, and our prayers are with them in the aftermath of this terrible storm. Kristen, at We Are That Family, reminds us that prayer is the greatest gift we can give them, and she also suggests some other ways to help. Our friend Ree, the Pioneer Woman shares similar thoughts and suggestions for sending aid to those in need.  Please pray for Oklahoma.

And now, since it's Wednesday, I'll get to answering the questions posted by Joyce to get us thinking today. Be sure to stop by her blog, then visit the other participants. Here we go.

1. It's National Bike Week...do you own a bicycle? When did you last ride a bike? 
I'd like to say the last time I rode a bike was last summer on Mackinac Island. Since they don't allow motor vehicles there, it is the perfect place to take a bike ride. In truth, I just took a picture of a bike last summer on Mackinac Island. And they weren't even riding it, just posing with it.
I no longer own a bicycle, and haven't for many years. Nor have I ridden one in the last decade or so. I believe my body would pay dearly for any attempt at two wheelin'.

2. What's something you learned in school that wasn't part of the curriculum?
This question made me think of my favorite high school extracurricular activity, Follies.
Follies was a variety show, written and produced entirely by students. Each of the four classes of our high school had four student directors who wrote, cast, costumed, and directed our classmates in a musical skit which was presented to the community each fall. My three best friends and I learned about leadership, compromise, time management, and the importance of a sense of humor as we directed our class skit each year. So many great memories! I should do an entire post about Follies sometime.

3. What's a food you've never tried, but want to try? What's a food you've tried and will never try again?
Well, everyone seems to think sushi is quite the thing these days. I can't say I want to try it, but maybe I should, just to see what all the fuss is about. As for a food I don't care to try again? When we were first married, I found a recipe for barbequed liver, prepared in the crock pot. My new husband liked liver, and I thought this would be a way to prepare it that required little actual contact with the stuff. First and last time I tried liver.

4. Have you been more demanding on yourself lately or less? Why? Do you think that's a good trend?
I think less. I'm not sure that's a good trend. As is usually true, I think the ideal is finding that oh-so-tricky balance.

5. Who is your favorite book, movie, or TV show villain? 
The Wicked Witch of the West, of course.

6. How concerned are you about identity theft? 
Our credit card has been compromised three (or four) times now. It's a pain and an inconvenience, and the first time, I spent hours trying to track down information about the unauthorized purchases because I was angry and irritated. Now, I just finish my shopping, then call the card company to send a new card. I think if you use a credit card frequently, it is likely to happen. That's not the same as identity theft, though, which could be a much bigger deal. That being said, I worry about identity theft about as much as I worry about a thief breaking into my home.

7. I saw this last question on Dawn's blog a couple of week's ago and asked if I could share. Everybody hop over and say hi, but first answer this...would you rather have an ordinary home in an extraordinary place or an extraordinary home in an ordinary place? 
I would rather have an ordinary home in an extraordinary place. The home would just need to be large enough for all my people. :)

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
These cuties had some fun enjoying a cupcake from the baby shower on Sunday. Chocolate just makes a girl happy. 



I hope your Wednesday is a happy one.

No comments: