Saturday, April 6, 2013

Huntin' for Spring

It has been a looooonnnggg winter here in the midwest, and we are finally beginning to see glimpses of the long awaited spring. I love living in a place where we have the opportunity to enjoy all four seasons, but I do believe the coming of spring is the transition I welcome the most.

In honor of the sunshine yesterday, Matthew and I decided to try our first geocache of the year.  We found a brand new cache on my iPhone app, that had just been hidden a couple of weeks ago. He grabbed my phone, and we were on our way.

The cache was in the cemetery in town, and after driving around a bit, we got close enough to continue on foot.

Matthew had to shade the phone from the bright sun in order to see the compass guiding us to the spot. We were ever so grateful for that sunshine! He also explained to me how the latitude and longitude coordinates of our location change as we move closer, to match the coordinates of the geocache. Since I didn't have my glasses, I took his word for it. :)

It took a bit of searching, and after consulting the hint, Matthew spotted it in a tree hole.

He opened the lid,
and took out the log,
which we signed with the date and our initials. Later, I logged our find on the official Geocaching hunt site.

Back at our house, we discovered a pretty little sign of spring right there in the yard.
She turned to the sunlight
And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbor:
"Winter is dead."
-A.A. Milne, When We Were Very Young

No comments: