Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Hop on Hodgepodge

I'm heading out for jury duty today, but making time for a little Wednesday Hodgepodge before braving the snow and cold for the trek north. Thanks to our hostess, Joyce, for the great questions. I'm glad she included Dr. Seuss in her March lineup, which you will see when you read my answers below. You do read my answers, right? And when you've finished here, just click on the button and see what Joyce has to say today.
Here we go with the questions and my answers:

1. My real life friends came through with another question this week so thank you real life friends. When you've eaten in a restaurant do you complete their comment card? Do you take online surveys highlighted at the bottom of store receipts? 
I have completed comment cards in restaurants. The last time I remember doing one was in New Orleans last fall when we had a few concerns about our seating and service at the restaurant. This question did make me think about the importance of writing comment cards for good service as well as service that we consider to be sub-par. With my effort during Lent (and throughout the year, or forever, really) to be a gracer, not a hater, I am going to try to complete comment cards when the service or food has been especially good.
I rarely take the online surveys at the bottom of store receipts. I guess I think it is the merchant's way of acquiring my information in order to fill up my inbox with not-to-be missed important offers. My inbox is already filled to the brim.

2. The (US) ban on women in combat was lifted at the end of January. It will probably be next year before specifics are worked out, but its been reported over 200,000 front line positions will eventually open up to women.  Your thoughts?
I am fine if women wish to serve in front line positions. It would not be my choice, but I respect it if it is yours.

3.  In looking back at all the blog posts you've written, what's your favorite post title
I have quite a few favorite post titles. Attempting to think of a clever title is an enjoyable part of blogging for me. I don't know that I am always successful at being clever, but I have fun anyway. Maybe my titles are only clever in my mind.  Ha! Anyway, one that came to mind was Boiled Buckeyes, when our beloved Purdue Boilermakers defeated those pesky Ohio State Buckeyes on the football field.

4. What's worse-overly permissive parents or overly protective parents?  Did your own parents lean more to the permissive or the protective category?  If you're a parent where do you fall? 
I think it's the overly that is the concern in either the permissive or protective camp. Finding the right balance is every parent's challenge. My parents? Protective. Myself? The same.

5.  Candlelight-moonlight-firelight-bright lights in the big city...which one's your favorite? 
I'll choose firelight, lakefront, with the family.


6. Dr. Seuss's birthday was celebrated on Saturday. What's a favorite book you remember (Seuss or otherwise) from your own childhood?  Did books play an important role in your growing up years? Explain. 
I loved Dr. Seuss books when I was a child. Still do. My favorites were One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, and Green Eggs and Ham. I think I knew them by heart. When my children were young, a favorite was The Sneetches. We loved the book and the video.
I loved books as a child, and tried to pass that love on to our children, with varying degrees of success. Maybe some people are born readers and others are not. Thoughts?

7.  To quote Dr. Seuss...

"From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere." 
from One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Share something funny you've recently read, seen or heard.  
I believe the Dr. Seuss quote refers to funny peculiar, and while my something falls more in the category of funny haha, I thought I would share it nonetheless.
My brother recently left these notes for the teenagers and young adults in his house:
In case you can't read it, it the first note says:
"When leaving your dishes in the sink, please put one of these notes on the dishes... for clarity."
The (several) provided notes say:
"Ted and Cheryl,I'm leaving these dishes for you to do, because I don't feel like you all do enough for us and I don't feel like doing them."
That brother of mine is a clever guy. We shall see how it works. :)

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
I can't post in March without at least one mention of basketball. There is no basketball like high school basketball in Indiana. Last Friday, our Greensburg Pirates faced their arch rivals, the Batesville Bulldogs, who had handed the Pirates their only loss of the season a few weeks ago. The Pirates were out to avenge that loss and advance to the next round of the tournament.
When these two teams played at Batesville, fans were actually turned away at the door because their gym isn't large enough to handle the crowd. On Friday night, the gym in Greensburg was filled to the rafters, with cars filling the parking lot and side streets several blocks away.
As I arrived and climbed the stairs in search of a seat, it was just the moment that the team was waiting to take the floor. I imagine there was some nervous excitement as they tried to settle and focus on the task at hand. I always look at these young men from a mother's perspective, and see them as boys. Boys who grew up dreaming of this day. Boys who play for the love of the game and the camaraderie of the team. Boys who sat on their mama's laps and read The Little Engine That Could. And pretty soon I'm blubbering about little boys (and girls) who are all grown up and how did that happen and could we please just turn back time?
It was a hotly contested game, with the excitement and suspense we have learned to love as basketball fans in Indiana. There are many valuable lessons to be learned from high school sports. How to be a gracious winner and a gracious loser. To respect your coach, the officials, and your teammates. And when your son is standing on that free throw line with the game on the line, to remember that this is a game, and we play it for fun.
In the end, the Pirates were victorious, and earned the right to play in the Sectional final the following evening.
And when the final buzzer sounded on Saturday, Greensburg was on top and crowned Sectional Champions.
They hoisted the trophy,
celebrated with their fans,
and cut down the net.

Someone put together an awesome highlight video from the game against Batesville on Friday night. It's worth a watch. GO PIRATES!!!

No comments: