Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Poppin' in for the Hodgepodge

Welcome, Wednesday, and hello once again to the Hodgepodge. That's the day when our friend Joyce provides us with some great questions, and we all try to come back with some fascinating answers. You be the judge. After you enjoy my (fascinating) answers, remember to click on the button to visit Joyce and the others. Be sure to leave some comments along the way!


1. It's a brand new month...share one thing you're looking forward to in October.
Football. :) Especially going to Denver to see these two face off. Of course, the one on the right will be wearing a different uniform, and the one on the left may still be looking for a win and without a coach, but I will enjoy the experience nonetheless. And I haven't been to Denver since I passed through on the California Zephyr when I was 7 years old.
Drew Brees and Peyton Manning for those of you not into football.

2.  Is chivalry dead?  Explain.
I consulted my friend Google for this one. The origin of chivalry comes from the days of knights and damsels in distress, so in that sense, yes, it is dead. I don't run into white knights much, and most of the damsels I know do a pretty good job of taking care of themselves. That being said, I think a modern definition of chivalry should be the practice of thinking of others before thinking of oneself. Taking care of those in need. In this 'me first' world in which we live, I believe this kind of attitude must be a conscious decision. It must be taught by example in a way that leads us to learn and embrace the practice of serving. It is not an easy lesson for children (or for adults) to learn in our fast-paced world of excessive abundance. This kind of chivalry can be as simple as doing little kindnesses for those we love, and spreading that kindness as we go out into our world. Open the door for someone, shovel a driveway, give up your seat, thank your server, leave an unexpected tip, do a chore for your spouse, say a kind word to the frazzled young mom in the check-out line, write a note, or make a phone call. Small acts that can have a big impact and keep chivalry alive in our world.

3.  On October 2, 1950 the Peanuts comic strip made its debut.  Which character is your favorite?  Which character is most like you?  (Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus, Shroeder, Snoopy, Woodstock, or Pig Pen)  If you need a description click here .
I loved the Peanuts gang. I liked to try to draw them when I was young, and always, of course, watched the animated specials on tv. My favorite is probably Linus, with his sweet little blanket, and his classic soliloquy of Luke 2 in A Charlie Brown Christmas
I am most like Lucy, as I was an older sister, and may have, at times, possibly been, just a wee bit, well, bossy, to my younger brothers. I like to think of it as being strong, smart, independent, and not afraid to play football with the boys. Even it it means resorting to trickery. Ha!

4.  What's something you're competitive about?
I live in a family of gamers. We are all pretty competitive, and even a friendly game of UNO can leave bruises if you're not careful. Of course, these days, I try to play the role of peacemaker, and can live without winning. Most of the time.

5. October is National Popcorn Popping Month...are you a fan?  How do you like your popcorn?
I am a fan, and I like all kinds of popcorn.
On Saturday, I bought this bag from a polite Boy Scout in the tailgate lot. I would probably buy anything with a name like chocolatey triple delight, wouldn't you?
And I pinned this peppermint popcorn bark on Pinterest. Peppermint is one of my addictions, and I hope to try this for the holidays.

6.  When did you first realize the world is small?
I have known it for a long time, and am reminded of it often. Small world stories are so much fun, and I have many many good ones. Once, when we were touring the National Cathedral in Washington D.C. (see next question below), our guide led the group to the front of the sanctuary, and asked us to be seated. She then allowed us to share from where we had come. Imagine my surprise when someone in the group answered with the name of a town in our county, just 10 minutes to the south. Of course, we knew her, and were able to visit with her over tea in the tower, which was part of the tour we had selected. She had heard our oldest son give a speech about the American flag for her DAR chapter, and was pretty sure he would like to give it to the whole group as we enjoyed our tea. He declined. :)

7.  In terms of architecture, what's the most beautiful building you've seen up close and in person?
Continuing with my answer to the above question, I am going to say the Washington National Cathedral. Though not nearly as old as European cathedrals, it is a beautiful and impressive structure, with artwork and exhibits telling the American story of faith. President Woodrow Wilson is buried there, as are the ashes of Helen Keller, among others. Inauguration services have been held there, as well as funerals and memorial services for many president and first ladies.

photo circa 1997

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
We have a new addition to the family! Jennifer and Bryan have a new puppy, a Brittany named Bentley.
 They picked him up on Sunday. I haven't met him yet, but he looks like a cutie.
 Here he is all played out on his first night at home. Sweet dreams, Bentley.

No comments: