Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sing a Song of Hodgepodge

It's time for another Wednesday Hodgepodge. Joyce, over at From This Side of the Pond, graciously hosts the party each week. Click over and pay her a visit, and feel free to join the fun.



1. My daughter2 is graduating from university this month and plans to teach elementary school. What are three qualities you most want to see evidenced in a teacher?
As a teacher myself, I know how important, challenging, and rewarding this job is. Best of luck to your daughter2, Joyce, as she begins her career as an educator.
Three qualities I think are important are patience, enthusiasm, and the ability to bring out the best in your students. You must also be flexible, innovative, organized, and creative. Oh dear, that's more than three things, isn't it?

2. You can tell a lot about a person by__how well they listen.___________________.

3. What song makes you think spring?
There is a song from my childhood that we sang in church, often on Mother's Day. It was the first song I thought of when I read this question. Our choir director was from Wales, and when I looked up the song, I believe it is from the UK. The title is (I think), Sing a Song of Maytime, and I remember both the words and the tune.
Sing a song of Maytime,
Sing a song of spring.
Flowers are in their beauty,
Birds are on the wing.
Maytime, playtime,
God has given us Maytime.
Thank Him for His gifts of Love,
Sing a song of spring.
Blossoms on the hedgerow,
Sunshine on the hills.
Oh, the lovely Maytime,
All my being fills.
Maytime, playtime,
God has given us Maytime.
Thank Him for His gifts of Love,
Sing a song of spring.

4. May 1st is Mother Goose Day...share your favorite nursery rhyme.
I think I will have to choose "There was an old woman who lived in a shoe..." for obvious reasons. And while I didn't have that many children, there were times that I felt like that old woman. Of course, I never "spanked them all soundly and sent them to bed."       Did I? : )
Thinking of nursery rhymes made me think of the stops we made when I was a child at Storytown USA, in Lake George, New York. It was on our way to Vermont, where we visited my grandparents in the summer, and I have fond memories of Little Bo Peep and her sheep, Cinderella in her pumpkin carriage, and being a deputy marshall in the ghost town where we chased off the bad guys. The Old Woman's Shoe in the photo above was one of the cute attractions in the park. It was much simpler, and gentler than the amusement parks of today, and while there may have been a roller coaster there, it's not what I remember about the park. The costumed characters were real, and friendly, and actually talked to the children. And oh-so-many years later, I still remember it.

5. What makes someone unforgettable?
I can't remember. :)

6. Should music and/or art be part of a well rounded education?
My short answer is yes. Definitely.

7. What social situations make you flustered or nervous?
I don't really like to speak in front of large groups. Like our pastor said today, referring to his younger self, "I was so bashful I couldn't lead a silent prayer." 

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Our daughter got married on Saturday, and it was a beautiful day filled with family and friends. We had a great celebration, and now that the bride and groom are off to the beach, I have the opportunity to rest and relax a bit. We have been in wedding mode for many months now, and it is a little bit of a let-down after it's all over. I will share wedding photos soon, but I thought I would show a few of the fun things we did for the wedding.

I made these flowers using fabric circles which were cut and held over a flame to 'burn' the edges.

I used them on headbands for the little girls in the wedding.

And on the baskets for the flower girls.

Here is my granddaughter Haleigh trying on her flower girl dress.

Her little sister Ella got to have a matching dress.

I made bag tags for the bridesmaids' bags. It was fortunate that each of her bridesmaids had a different initial.

Flip flops for the bridesmaids for the reception. It's hard to dance in heels!

Hangers for their dresses.

Bags for our hotel guests.

Water bottles.

And goodies for the bags.

These bags were for the children at the reception. We included some snacks, a coloring booklet, crayons, a silly straw, beads, and a few other little goodies. They were a big hit.

And here's a picture of the happy couple. May God bless their marriage.

No comments: