Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Back to the Hodgepodge

Time for the Wednesday Hodgepodge. I am thankful for our hostess, Joyce, and I appreciate her keeping us on our toes with her thought-provoking questions. Of course, I always try to tie my answers to a photo or two (or ten), which makes it lots of fun. Be sure to click on the Hodgepodge button to pay Joyce a visit!
1. What's something you miss about the 1980's? If you're too young to miss the 80's how about the 90's?
I miss these babies...
and even these messes...
and rub-a-dub-dub...
 and poolside celebrations...
 and matching outfits...
ahhhhh... the 80s...sweet memories.

2. Do you have a library card? If so, how often do you visit?
I do have a library card, the kind that slides onto my keyring. I am in contact with the library to reserve books for my book club, but I usually purchase the books on my Kindle. I love the convenience of ordering books and receiving them instantly. I like reading from my Kindle even more than I thought I would, and find it a bit cumbersome to hold a real live book.
While we are remembering the 80s, back then summer meant participating in the summer reading program, weekly trips to the library, and checking out a whole bag of books. We always checked out the same number of books each week, so we would know how many we needed to return. We also had a 'library bag' to hold the books so they would be ready to go back on library day (without too much searching). I do remember one time when I received a notice that we had failed to return a book. I called to let them know that I was pretty sure we had returned it (due to the 'same number each week' policy). The next thing I knew, I received a letter from the prosecutor saying that I would be put in jail for not returning a book to the library. Well, I don't think it actually mentioned jail, but it was a wee bit worrisome for a rule-follower like me. When I went to the library and asked if it was possible that the book had been put back on the shelf without being recorded, the librarian took a look, and, lo and behold, there it was! So glad I didn't have to serve time in library jail!

3. What's the secret to success?
Hard work, humility, determination, learning from mistakes, having a positive attitude, and being honest and dependable.
I also believe the quote, attributed to John Wooden, that says,  “It is amazing how much can be accomplished if no one cares who gets the credit.”

4. This is National Backyard Games week...what's your favorite backyard game?
For us, it is a tailgate game that can also be played in the backyard - cornhole. Is cornhole only an Indiana game, or do they play it in all parts of the country? If you aren't familiar with it, there are two boards, with a round hole in each. Two teams or compete to toss beanbags into the hole. I think I read once that the name cornhole came about because filling the beanbags with corn (does that make them 'cornbags?') makes them slide better on the boards. The boards are often painted with a team logo, and played at tailgates, family reunions, and other gatherings. There  are even cornhole tournaments.

Here are a couple of photos of Matthew and Haleigh enjoying a little cornhole before a Purdue game.
Boiler Up!


5. If I dropped by today what would I find on your coffee table?
Well, here's a photo of my coffee table to show what you would find. My coffee table is not elegant or fancy, and sometimes also holds the remote, magazines, or a newspaper, but very rarely does it hold coffee. Today you will find favorite books, coasters, a music box, and the Perplexus maze game that everyone enjoys.

6. Do you own a bicycle? When was the last time you rode a bicycle? Is that something you enjoy?
I do not own a bicycle. I can't remember the last time I rode one.
The newlyweds are the bikers in the family. Here they are last weekend on a little 10 mile ride. Aren't they cute in their matching jerseys? A wedding gift.

7. What's your favorite cheese?
I'm not sure I have a favorite cheese. I like blue cheese in my slaw, American cheese on my burger, goat cheese queso at the Mexican restaurant, and shredded parmesan in my salad. I'm a pretty cheap date. :)

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Here is a photo of our crew, a couple weeks ago at the wedding of Darci's sister. I love them.
There is, however, something missing from the picture. Do you see? In the middle there. Jonathan's date. Missing. Nonexistent, actually. Anybody know a fun-loving single girl, around 25 years old?

No comments: