Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hearts to the Hodgepodge

Wednesday Hodgepodge time, and it's Super Bowl Week. Lots of fun going on in Indianapolis in anticipation of the big game. Be sure to click over and visit Joyce, our Hodgepodge hostess, as well as the others who are participating today.

1. It's that most wonderful time of the year...tax season! Do you complete your own returns or farm that job out to the professionals?
I sign them. That is the extent of my involvement with tax returns. As it should be.


2. This next question comes from Kansas Bob...he posed it in his response to something I asked in an earlier Wednesday post and I asked him if I could add it to the Hodgepodge some day. Today's the day....

Which do you think has changed you more-love or pain?
Wow, Kansas Bob thinks of hard questions. Hmmm....

3. Tangerine Tango has been named color of the year for 2012. Your thoughts? Would I find this color anywhere in your house? How about in your closet? If not, will you be adding this color to your life in some way in 2012? If you're not sure what tangerine tango looks like click here.
It's a fun color, but you won't find it in my house today. Not so much in my closet either, although if it is the color of the year, I guess I should add some to my wardrobe. Wouldn't want to be accused of being stuck in last year. Although, in reality, if you look in my closet, I'm probably stuck somewhere even worse than last year. As far as makeup, can't see me wearing TT eye shadow as suggested in the article, but I do think I would try it for a pedicure.

4. Are you a collector? What do you collect and does it get admired, used, and/or dusted regularly?
My family would say that I collect Noah's Arks, and I do have several, scattered throughout the house in various forms.
More recently, because of my love for the Saints, I have been given several fleur de lis items, so it looks like I am starting a collection! They are fun, and classic. Not your typical football team mascot/logo. I am hoping to redecorate the bathroom using the fleur de lis theme, but that will most likely happen sometime after this spring. We have a wedding, you know.

I don't dust much, so that would be a no to that part of the question.

I do enjoy and admire them, since they remind me of my favorite football team. Who Dat!!

5. February is National Heart Month...besides a green salad what is one tasty heart healthy dish you like to prepare?
That's easy, red wine and dark chocolate. :)


6. When was the last time you had car trouble?
Well, if car trouble is defined as trouble with my car, then it was a couple of weeks ago. I pulled into the garage, got out of the car, and the horn honked as if someone has pressed the lock button on the key fob. Trouble was, the keys were in the ignition, as they always are when the car is parked in the garage. Hey, we live in the country. That's how we roll here. When I went in the house to get my extra keys from the mug where I keep them (don't judge), they were, unfortunately, no where to be found. Guess I need a safer key keeping place after all. Soooo....  $50 and a locksmith later, we were back in business. I'm trying not to leave the keys in the ignition any more. At least not until the extra set shows up.

7. Have you been more demanding on yourself lately or less? Is that a good trend?
I think I am less demanding on myself. Probably not a good thing. Must. Get. Moving.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
It is fun having the Super Bowl hosted right up the road from us in Indianapolis this year. As I wrote in my post yesterday, the city has done a super job of preparing for the big event.
One of the most interesting accomplishments to me is the Super Scarves Project. Volunteer crafters from all over the state, country, and world have teamed up to provide hand made scarves for the Super Bowl volunteers. The original goal of 8000 scarves has been far surpassed, and the latest count is 13,024 six foot long blue and white scarves. It's a great story.
The photo below shows some committee members, along with the Colts' mascot, Blue, at the home opener celebrating the completion of scarf  #8000. But the scarves just kept coming!

The photo below shows 82 year old Bev Meska, from Michigan City, Indiana, who crocheted 250 scarves. The Super Bowl patches were sown on by inmates at a local prison for the finishing touch. The project did not dictate a pattern, so the scarves are as different and varied as the people who made them.

With the abundance of scarves, the committee has been able to give them, not only to volunteers, but also to the Patriots and Giants as they arrived in the city, to police officers, journalists, and front line employees. It is reported that the football players were scrambling to make sure they received a scarf for themselves and for their wives. Who knows, maybe we'll even see Madonna wearing one? (She's performing at half time, you know.) I don't know if it will go with her costume, but at least it might prevent a wardrobe malfunction.
Here are a couple of Colts' cheerleaders modeling their scarves.
I think it was a great project, and such a good way to involve some of our more non-traditional football fans. It also provided a way for folks to volunteer who may not have been able to be 'on the streets' in Indy during the Super Bowl.
So, will you be watching the big game on Sunday? Only the commercials? Making a trip to Indy? Hosting a party? Reading a book instead? :) Do you care who wins the game?

No comments: