Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Giant Leap for the Hodgepodge

Leapin' into the Hodgepodge today, thankful to Joyce for hosting the Leap Day party. It is fun to wake up to an extra day to enjoy. Leap over to Joyce's blog, and then visit all the others who have joined the leapin' fun.

1. The Hodgepodge falls on the last day of February this year, a leap year. How will you spend that extra day?
I'll be leaping up to spend the morning with these two cuties. This picture was taken by their mommy when they were out for a walk on Monday, enjoying the sunshine on a mild winter day.
Their daddy and mommy are going on vacation next week, so we will get to have the little ones here at our house while they are enjoying the beach! I should be resting up for a week with a 2-year-old and a 10-month-old! Ha! I will welcome your prayers and advice as I count my sweet blessings.

2. What has recently required a leap of faith on your part?
Our church has learned recently that our pastor has been given a new appointment, and will be leaving us at the end of June. This is the way of our denomination, but it is really, really hard to give up a pastor we have grown to love. 
As we wrestled with our emotions and struggled to accept the upcoming change, I read this post by Ann Voskamp, telling us why it's time to get out of our comfort zone. Her beautiful words tell us that "faith gets out of the boat." 
It is in doing the hard things, that we lean in to Him, who strengthens us for the next thing.

3. We're one week into the season of Lent...are you marking these 40 days in some way? Giving something up or adding something extra to normal life? How's it going so far?
I have given up wine and spirits, as well as dessert. I am trying to be more intentional about my daily devotions, and looking for ways to show kindness to others.

4. When was the last time you sat beside a fire?
Labor Day weekend, at the lake.

Kids, grandkids, friends.... priceless.

5. Surf and Turf is on the menu. Do you order as is or do you ask for just the surf (lobster), just the turf (steak), or a menu so you can select another option?
I would probably order as is, but my preference is for the steak. My brother, on the other hand, would most likely opt for the lobster. As a young teen, he was notorious for ordering whatever was offered at 'market price.'

6. If you could have any television program back, not in reruns but in new episodes, what program would you choose?
I miss The Tonight Show, with Johnny Carson. I remember watching it with my mom when I was in high school over a bowl of ice cream. Just. So. Funny. Johnny was always up with me when I was rocking a baby to sleep or working on a late-night project. Our children have enjoyed watching old episodes on our boxed set of VHS tapes. And yes, we still have a player that can play them. They can even quote many an episode instantly.
I loved it when he had animals on the show, or children, big stars, and ordinary folks with something special to share (do you remember the potato chip lady?). I miss you Johnny!

7. They say an elephant never forgets. These days would you say your memory is more like an elephant or a gnat?
Oh, most definitely a gnat! I recently missed a church meeting, and emailed our pastor to apologize. I signed my name Susan, the forgetful. He graciously signed his response, Jimmy, the merciful. I so appreciate that. :)

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Recently, I experienced some internet problems when our antenna went out and I had to wait two whole weeks for a cable to be run to our house. I had to blog from my tiny little laptop using the MiFi connection. I was angry, frustrated, sad, irritated, grumpy, impatient, mad, and not very nice about my inconvenience. I may have done a little whining. It was, thankfully, fixed on Monday, and all is right with the world. Or is it?
I was watching Kathie Lee and Hoda today, and they showed a video clip of the top100 First World Problems. Made me remember that going without internet on my desktop is oh so so small in the world of problems. And I, who have been to Haiti, should be able to recognize that the problems of my life are teeny tiny compared to so much of the world.
The video is a lighthearted look at many of the things that we, as Americans, find frustrating in our first world, industrialized, sense of entitlement, lap of luxury lives. It does make you think. And be a little bit more appreciative. And a little less grumpy when my cell phone battery dies. Or my internet is compromised. Amen.



No comments: