Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankful for the Hodgepodge

This week, I'm thankful for Joyce and her Hodgepodge she hosts week after week. In fact, she just celebrated a whole year of Hodgepodge! Of course, we celebrate each week when we find our way to her little blog party. Thanks, Joyce, for the thoughtful questions, and for your kind hospitality. Be sure to stop by and pay her a visit. Just click on the link, and away you go!
(After reading my answers, of course. :)  )
1. Let's start with something controversial...dressing or stuffing? What's it called at your house and what's included in your recipe...cornbread? oysters? sausage? chestnuts?
I think the dressing/stuffing "beef" has a regional "flavor." My midwest grandmother always made dressing, while my New England grandmother preferred stuffing. Oyster stuffing, I believe. As for my recipe? I don't have one. I don't make dressing since I don't make turkey for Thanksgiving. Oh, my mom will bring a turkey breast, but the main dish for our family dinner is the traditional Thanksgiving beef tenderloin. The Pilgrims had a cow, I'm sure of it.

2. Who do you sometimes compare yourself to?
Wow, this is a hard one, and I try not to do it. I found a blog post by Rick Warren, with this scripture: 
“Do your own work well, and then you will have something to be proud of. But don’t compare yourself with others.” Galatians 6:4 (CEV)
 I think we should all try that, hard as it may be.

3. When were you last inside an airport?
I was inside an airport for our trip to New Orleans in October.

4. What is one side dish that absolutely must be included in a turkey dinner?
Well, since the star of our dinner is beef (see #1 above) I'll say mashed potatoes, since they go well with either beef or turkey. My family enjoys loaded mashed potato casserole.

5. What Christmas song do you dread hearing?
I didn't think there was any Christmas song that I dreaded. Until I went to the Wal Mart this morning and listened to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" on a continuous loop for the entire time I was there, probably an hour or so. All right all ready. I will.

6. If someone approaches you and asks for money do you give it to them? Do you drop money 'in a tin cup' that belongs to a person on the street? Do you have a specific charity you support during the holiday season and/or year round?
I have given money to people who have asked. I believe we are called to mirror God's never ending example of giving. It is not always easy, and I was once told by a wise pastor friend, "If you have it, you give it. If you have time, you give time. If you have money, you give money." We all have something to give. I believe at Christmas, we look a little closer at the needs around us, and seek to help where we can. Our church adopts families at Christmas, and I always try to choose 5 children (like our 5) and purchase shoes for them. We also support other charities throughout the year as we are able.
JJ Heller is one of my favorite artists. She and her husband Dave write and perform their music together.We were blessed to see them in concert last April. One of my favorite songs is from their Painted Red album, and it's called Not Mine Anyway. Listen to it if you get the chance. Better yet, purchase or download the album. You will be blessed. The lyrics perfectly describe why we are called to give.

Not Mine Anyway
Music and lyrics by JJ and Dave Heller

I don’t know what to say
No words could ever be enough
I stand up because you hold me here
Because you brought me here tonight

Without you we all fall down

Without you we all fall

You make life worth living

You make me want to start giving
More and more away to you
It’s not mine anyway

I could not ever try so hard

I could buy a place in your heart
But here I am
My name written on your hands
Because you paid the debt I owe

Without you we all fall down

Without you we all fall

You make life worth living

You make me want to start giving
More and more away to you
It’s not mine anyway

7. Share a favorite Thanksgiving memory. If you live in a country that doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving share a favorite memory associated with food.
My favorite Thanksgiving memory is from 1982. I was very pregnant with our first child, and we had come home for Thanksgiving after my doctor said he didn't think I would deliver for another week or so. I didn't eat much Thanksgiving dinner, but I did manage to eat a piece two pieces of Sugar Cream Pie. Early Friday morning we were blessed with a beautiful baby boy, David John. Truly a Thanksgiving to remember.
                                                                                                                                                         


 8. Insert your own random thought here.
I am the "mentor mom" for a MOPS group, and last week, they had a "favorite things" meeting. Everyone was to bring one of her favorite things to share with the group. It could either be enough "things" to share with everyone, or one thing to give a mom whose name was drawn. It was so much fun. The young moms had so many great things to share, from coffee, to calcium chews, to homemade scones, some great jewelry, handmade bookmarks, and a great fuzzy blanket. I took my favorites, chocolate and peppermint. I made chocolate sauce from a recipe I found on howdoesshe.com and poured it into cute little jars tied up in a bag with my favorite peppermints on top. Definitely my favorite things!


No comments: