Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Home for the Hodgepodge

I am supposed to be in Haiti today. I was experiencing some symptoms over the weekend that were causing me to worry. Or maybe it was the worry that was causing the symptoms. I get that. I don't think I'm a worrier, though my husband would say otherwise. And it wasn't my first trip to Haiti, so I shouldn't have been anxious.  In any case, I am supporting my team in Haiti with my prayers this week instead of my presence. Tests showed that I am fine, and I think I will agree with Joyce and her hubs and call it an 'age spurt.' Genius!

So, since I am at home, I am joining Joyce for the Wednesday Hodgepodge. Answer the questions, link up, and visit the other participating bloggers. It really is fun.

1. Of all the tools and gadgets you own which do you most enjoy using?
It would have to be my iPhone. I am anxious to upgrade to the new version in another month or so. It is amazing to think of the advances in technology in telephones in my lifetime. I remember dialing a phone that was attached to the wall! And even then, all I could do was talk!

2. When (if ever) is impatience a virtue?
I'm guessing that there are folks that will come up with a great answer for this one. I can't think of a time that impatience is a virtue. Maybe I'm not being patient enough to think of one! These days, I am trying to live by the wise words of Ann Voskamp, "Life is not an emergency."

3. What temperature do you keep your thermostat set to in winter? Do you have another way to heat your house besides a furnace of some type?
We keep our thermostat set to a comfortable temperature. That may vary depending on the number of people in the house and the temperature outside. We tend to bump it up or down as we see fit. It probably stays around 70 degrees. And our furnace is our only source of heat.

4. Do/did you have a close relationship with any of your grandparents?
I was close to my maternal grandparents. They lived just an hour's drive from us for most of my life, and later moved to our town. I was especially close to my maternal grandmother. 'Mamaw' took me horseback riding, shopping, made my first prom dress, and helped make my bridesmaid dresses to name just a few special memories. Here I am after my high school graduation with Pampaw and Mamaw.

Here we are on our wedding day with my parents and Mamaw and Pampaw.

It was also a blessing that our children were able to know and love my grandparents. Here is Mamaw with Andrew and Jonathan.

And in the Cayman Islands with our five, and the traditional sand turtle (see #5 below).
It is perfect that this question was included in today's Hodgepodge, since today was Mamaw's birthday. I think it would have been her 97th.

5. When did you last have a family portrait taken?
We try to take a picture when we have all the kids together. Sometimes we get it done, and sometimes we don't. The photo on my blog header was taken on Labor Day 2010, and used for our Christmas card last year. Of course, if portrait means taken by a professional photographer, I believe it was 2009, in the Cayman Islands. That year, we took our 10 immediate family, my parents, 4 friends, and 1 cousin for a total of 17! I played the part of travel agent and meal coordinator, and I also arranged for a photographer to take our family photos one evening. I am so glad we did it, and these are a couple of my favorites from the shoot.

The photo above was our Christmas card in 2009, and we had several friends ask if the backdrop was real. Yes, it was, complete with the Jolly Roger sailing by at just the right moment.
The photo below includes my parents, and we are standing around our traditional huge sand turtle we have been building on the beach since our children were little. This was a couple days after the building day, so he was a little worse for the wear, but we couldn't pass up the chance to get a photo.

6. What does the word patriotism mean to you?
I looked up the definition, and found this:

pa·tri·ot·ism

[pey-tree-uh-tiz-uhm or, especially Brit., pa-] noun
devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty.
As we approach Veteran's Day, I am thankful for those, both past and present who have shown love and devotion for our country by defending our nation with their service. A friend of mine has a son serving in Afghanistan. After hearing about several groups here in the States planning to run an 11K on Friday for Veteran's Day, they set up a course for them to run there.  Will you pray for him, as well as for the others running and serving in all parts of the world?

7. Do you like to play cards and if so, what's your favorite card game?

I answered this question this morning, but when my son asked why I didn't do #7, I came back to check, and it was gone! Hmmmmm.... don't know what happened.
Anyway, my answer was that our family loves card games. Give our group a deck of cards, and they are entertained for a long time. They spent many hot summer days in the cattle barn at the county fair playing cards. My favorite card game is probably Euchre. I remember playing it in college, and it's still a family favorite. I've been told that Euchre isn't well known in other parts of the country. Do you play Euchre?

8. Insert your own random thought here.
 I decided since I had an unexpected week at home, I should not waste it. My closets are in desperate need of some mission work of a different kind, so I started on the laundry room closet. Some of you neatniks may think this is the before picture. Well, I didn't actually take a before picture, but let's just say the floor was not visible. A truckload of trash, a large bag for goodwill, freshly laundered coats and jackets, and a greatly improved closet. And that was just Monday! Hoping to continue on my quest for clean better closets throughout the week.

No comments: