Friday, April 22, 2011

Good and Friday

I had a meeting at my house yesterday.
It's always nice to get things all cleaned up.
Set the chairs up.


Get the dishes out.


Set the table all pretty.
Not that I don't set a pretty table every day.
But, well, you know I don't.


The table runner was made by one of the ladies in the group.
My mom bought it for me when we had an auction of goodies brought by the group members.
The center is woven with strips of fabric.


I liked trying different lighting with my camera.
The photos above were taken in the evening with just the overhead light.
The one below was with morning sunlight from the window.
The plant is one of my favorites, the Martha Washington geranium.
We always had them at the Hoosier Horse Fair to decorate some of the stall areas.
The M & Ms in the background are also among my favorites.


I found this idea for cute Easter "carrot" snacks over at a little of this, a little of that and thought they would be fun for the grandkids and their cousins. Shhhh... don't tell them!
Speaking of Easter treats and trappings, I read a great article over at (in)courage written by Sandy Coughlin, called "Easter is About Blessing, Not Impressing." Such a good reminder about being authentic in our relationships. To live our lives, beautiful and imperfect, by choosing to bless rather than impress. I hope you will take the time to read it.


I was blessed to have a double dose of Pastor Jimmy yesterday, as he gave the devotion at our meeting in the afternoon, and led the Maundy Thursday service at church last evening. As we remember Jesus' words calling us to serve others, one of the things he shared in the evening service was the way Mother Teresa would tick off each of the fingers in her hand one at a time and quote Christ in Matthew 25---“You. Did. This. To. Me.”

On that dark evening, after sharing a meal with his closest followers, Jesus knelt down and washed the feet of each disciple.

12 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.  John 13:12-15

Our service allowed the opportunity for hand washing in remembrance of Jesus' example. We had our hands washed by another, and then washed the hands of the person behind us. 


 Pastor Jimmy allowed us to think about serving and being served, and pointed out that being served is sometimes uncomfortable for us, as it was for Simon Peter on that long ago Thursday. What do you think? Does being served ever make you uncomfortable? What about serving "the least of these"?


 Finally, on this Good Friday, I want to share with you a post by Ann Voskamp. In her beautiful words, she tells the story of this day from the heart of a mother. The mother of our Saviour. Words written while feeling the anguish and grasping the pain and the beauty yet to come:
"I will see Your face in the poor and the oppressed and the forsaken. And the moon will shine round and the threads of my moments will shine with Your glory."    ~Ann Voskamp

No comments: