Friday, April 15, 2011

Five Question Friday

Today, I'm joining in on Five Question Friday over at My Little Life. Click on over and say "hello."



1. What is your favorite sign of spring?

My favorite sign of spring is the blooming of the dogwood trees. I have always loved the legend of the dogwood, and it became even more special to me while I was a student at Hanover College. I can't imagine a more beautiful college campus, and the trees in the spring, especially the dogwoods, make it truly breathtaking.




2. What was your best birthday ever?

Well, first of all, ever is a long time, and I've had a lot of birthdays. :) I found a couple pictures of my 18th birthday, and it was one of the best for a couple of reasons. From the time I was little, my Uncle Bill gave me Cracker Jack for my birthday. One box for every year. (Does anyone remember the Cracker Jack commercial? "Candy coated popcorn, peanuts, and a prize. That's what you get with Cracker Jack!") Here I am holding a great big jar with 18 boxes of Cracker Jack inside. Tied to the jar is a hand made birthday card, another trademark of my Uncle Bill. I miss him, and his cards.



This is a terrible picture, but for my 18th birthday, I got to have a party at my house. With boys and girls! I'm sure we were groovin' to some Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, and Chicago, on my record player. You young ones can google it. The fun part was that I shared my birthday with two of the guys in my class. In the picture, Paul, Tim, and I are blowing out the candles on the huge ice cream sundae my mom made us. Yes, Tim's head is cut off, and I look like I'm blowing my teeth out, but you get the idea. The bittersweet part of this photo is that Paul was killed in a snowmobile accident while we were in college. I still think of him on my birthday.



3. What is your favorite dessert?


This question is like asking me which of my children is my favorite. I love them all! And the love just multiplies. I have recently mentioned Sticky Toffee Pudding from our Grand Cayman vacation, so I'll highlight another favorite today. Contained in the above pictured birthday sundae, is one of my favorites, Peppermint Ice Cream Dessert. Back in the day when my mom was preparing this, there was an ice cream parlor with a treat they called the "Zoo Sundae." It was served in a huge bowl with a great big spoon, and was meant to be shared with a crowd. Her own rendition of the sundae was made with this basic recipe, still a favorite today:


Peppermint Ice Cream Dessert
1 1/2 c. vanilla wafer crumbs
2/3 c. butter or margarine
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 eggs, separated
2 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/2 gallon peppermint ice cream, softened


Put crumbs in 9 x 13 pan. Melt butter and chocolate. Beat egg yolks and add powdered sugar, chocolate mixture, and vanilla. Beat egg whites and blend into mixture with pecans. Pour over crumbs. Spoon in ice cream. Cover and freeze.


When my mom made it in the big bowl, she would just sort of layer ice cream, crumbs, and chocolate randomly to fill the container. It was delicious.


4. What is the best excuse you've ever used to get out of a ticket?

I just use a lot of "yes, sir, no sir, I'm sorry, sir, I'll never do it again, sir, I know the speed limit, sir," and so forth. So much so, that an officer once told me I could stop calling him sir, and his name was Roger. Then he gave me a warning and sent me on my way.


Going back to question #2, there was the time I asked the officer, "aren't you my little brother's friend, Pete?" He said he was, told me to slow down, handed my my license back and said, "by the way, Happy Birthday." Yes it was.

5. Do you wake up before your alarm, with your alarm, or after hitting snooze several times?

Not. A. Morning. Person. Don't set an alarm much any more, but I was always a snooze hitter. 

Annndddd... that's it for 5QF. Have a great Friday, and a wonderful weekend!

No comments: