Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Grand Cayman Style

I'm linking up again this week for a little Wednesday Hodgepodge, even on vacation!



1. Sunday was the first day of spring. So they say. Ahem.

What is your favorite outdoor springtime activity?

Spring Break, of course. Especially at our favorite beach building our traditional giant sand turtle.


2. Who would you want to come into your kitchen to cook dinner for you?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would choose our friend Ree. I feel like I can call her our friend, can't I? Actually, I would rather go to her kitchen to eat dinner and play cowboy for a few days. When I was teaching first grade, I always told the first graders that I want to be a cowboy when I grow up. Still do.


3. When did you last fly a kite?

We like to try a little kite flying at the beach, with varying degrees of success. This was a couple years ago. This picture always reminds me of one of those AT&T ads, you know, more bars in more places.


4. What topic puts you to sleep faster than anything?

Most things math related end up sounding like Charlie Brown's teacher to me.

5. Which flowers do you associate with specific people, places, or events?

Pink carnations always take me back to my college days as a Phi Mu at Hanover College. They are the official Phi Mu flower, and I also had them in my wedding.


6. What significant historical events took place during your elementary school days?

I remember getting to stay up late to watch the first lunar landing when I was nine. My parents took a picture of my brother and me with the newspaper in front of the TV.


7. Do you swear? Do you pseudo-swear? (You know crap, shoot, friggin'?)

I don't swear, but I guess I do pseudo-swear if "crap" counts for that.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

All dogs go to... church?
On Sunday, my mom was doing the children's sermon and asked if Gumbo could make an appearance. The main sermon title had to do with teaching old dogs new tricks, and she thought he would be a good prop for the lesson.


Gumbo is pretty much the best dog ever. He doesn't bark, he doesn't shed, and he doesn't have an even slightly aggressive bone in his body. And he loves kids.


However, he doesn't really do any tricks. About the only thing he can do is sit, so that's what we had to go with.  Matthew was her assistant, and Gumbo cooperated and did sit when asked. Of course, Matthew had treats, which always helps.


Pastor Jimmy said the biggest miracle was that Jere' (Mom, Nana) actually held the dog. She's not really a dog person. :)
Gumbo got to go upstairs for Children's Church and continue his visit with the little ones. It's always nice to offer a new twist on sharing Jesus with the kids.

And we are, each of us, blessed with the opportunity to continue learning, all the days of our lives.

No comments: