Thursday, February 24, 2011

Royalty


In light of the upcoming Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton, I was reminded of the wedding of William's mum and dad, Charles and Diana.
If things had worked out differently for them, they would be celebrating their 30th anniversary this July. I know this, because Jim and I were married just four days earlier. In fact, we watched their wedding in the early morning hours on our honeymoon. I always felt a bit of a connection with Diana, and thought it would be fun to
see what made us similar. You might not even be able  to tell the difference. Or then again, maybe you will.

They had a lovely cake at their reception. With flowers on top.

We had a lovely cake at our reception. With flowers on top. Too bad it fell off the table before we got there, and was just a bit shorter than we had expected.



They shared a kiss after the wedding on the balcony in front of thousands of cheering well-wishers.

We shared a kiss in the back of the church. In the narthex.





They rode away in the magnificent horse drawn carriage.

We drove away in Uncle Shel and Aunt Elizabeth's Cadillac.




The next year, we each gave birth to a son.

Prince William wore an heirloom christening dress for his baptism in the music room at Buckingham Palace.

Our son, Prince David, also wore an heirloom christening dress for his baptism at Covenant Presbyterian Church in West Lafayette.





Although our family grew a bit larger than theirs, I think we might be wearing the same dress here.







And we definitely had the same taste in dressing our little boys. Yes, that's our sweet little Jonathan on the right. Hard to believe, I know.

I think I had that dress too, but I would be more likely to locate the actual dress than to have a photograph of me wearing it.


It's fun to remember those special days planning our own Royal Wedding, and I'm sure there are young brides today who are eagerly watching as details unfold about Prince William's wedding to his princess, soon to be Princess, Kate.

It's sad that his beautiful mum won't be with them on their special day, but I am sure he holds tight to sweet memories and all that she taught him. And since we were practically twins, I know I could be an excellent stand-in on the big day.

I'm betting my invitation is in the mail.

No comments: