Saturday, December 19, 2009

Ah Sugar Sugar

Sugar Cream Pie has been a tradition for us for about 27 years now. It was Thanksgiving 1982, and I was very pregnant with our first baby. I was not feeling that great during the Thanksgiving meal, but, not recognizing I was actually in labor, I ate two pieces of my favorite pie, made by Rheadawn. David was born early the next morning, and Sugar Cream has been a special treat for me ever since.

Rheadawn was gracious enough to share her recipe with me, and I have enjoyed making it through the years. Not as good as hers, but acceptable nonetheless. It is one of the three things I know how to make. Cooking is not my strength, you know.

Rheadawn says real butter is the key. Melt one stick over medium heat.

Add one cup of sugar.

And 1/4 cup cornstarch.




Stir, stir, stir, until smooooth.

Add 2 1/2 cups half and half. I actually use 2 cups half and half and top it off with 1/2 cup milk. That way, I can make 2 pies from a 1 quart carton of half and half.

Add 1 teaspoon of good Haitian vanilla and a pinch of salt.

Cook until thick. Keep stirring!


Baked pie shells ready and waiting. Love Pillsbury roll 'em out crust. I don't think Rheadawn uses these.....


Pour sugar mixture into baked pie shell. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.


Remove from oven and sprinkle with nutmeg.

Share with friends and family.

No comments: